- the act of effusing or pouring forth.
- something that is effused.
- an unrestrained expression, as of feelings: poetic effusions.
- the escape of a fluid from its natural vessels into a body cavity.
- the fluid that escapes.
- Physics. the flow of a gas through a small orifice at such density that the mean distance between the molecules is large compared with the diameter of the orifice.
Origin of effusion
Related Words for effusiondiffusion, effluvium, stream, emanation, verbosity, wordiness, emission, efflux, outflow, gush, address, discharge, ooze, shedding, exudate, effluence, pouring, gushing
Examples from the Web for effusion
Historical Examples of effusion
The first sensation of Vaudemont on reading this effusion was delight.Night and Morning, Complete
The children greeted him with effusion, and when he sat down Tony sat on his knee.Jan and Her Job
L. Allen Harker
And Pierre, in the effusion of his triumph, poured out his heart to her.The Fortune of the Rougons
"I don't think you like papa," said I once to her, in an effusion of confidence.That Boy Of Norcott's
Charles James Lever
Not dead; but the same as dead: effusion will carry him off some time to-morrow.The O'Donoghue
Charles James Lever
- an unrestrained outpouring in speech or words
- the act or process of being poured out
- something that is poured out
- the flow of a gas through a small aperture under pressure, esp when the density is such that the mean distance between molecules is large compared to the diameter of the aperture
- the escape of blood or other fluid into a body cavity or tissue
- the fluid that has escaped
c.1400, "a pouring out," from Middle French effusion (14c.) and directly from Latin effusionem (nominative effusio) "a pouring forth," noun of action from past participle stem of effundere "pour forth, spread abroad," from ex- "out" (see ex-) + fundere "pour" (see found (v.2)). Figuratively, of speech, emotion, etc., from 1650s.
- The escape of fluid from the blood vessels or lymphatics into the tissues or a cavity.
- The fluid so escaped.