- a cardinal number, ten times eight.
- a symbol for this number, as 80 or LXXX.
- a set of this many persons or things.
- eighties, the numbers, years, degrees, or the like, from 80 through 89, as in referring to numbered streets, indicating the years of a lifetime or of a century, or degrees of temperature.
- amounting to 80 in number.
Origin of eighty
Examples from the Web for eighties
Contemporary Examples of eighties
The archaeologist Sarah Nelson is in her eighties, and she would go dig in China this minute if she could get grant money.The Real-Life Raiders of the Lost Ark
November 14, 2014
The images tend to be followed by an equally non-contextual eighties reference and nothing more is said.Juvenile Misogynist Seth MacFarlane Is Not Funny
June 3, 2014
Its eighties music is so cheesy and the struggle is so real.The Best Celebrity Cameos in Super Bowl Ads
February 2, 2014
The novel might be a metafiction in the style of John Barth, who has also in his eighties been influenced by cognitive science.The Brain Man: What is E. L. Doctorow Up to?
January 13, 2014
Back in the eighties, no one knew about a hot glue gun except display people.Tales of a Bergdorf Goodman Window Dresser
December 5, 2013
Historical Examples of eighties
The epigram, with its faint whiff of the eighties, meant nothing.Howards End
E. M. Forster
I first met him one Fourth of July afternoon in the middle eighties.Blazed Trail Stories
Stewart Edward White
These two belong to the group known as "the Men of the Eighties."Maxim Gorki
It broke down the strength of Mr. Gladstone's Government in the eighties.Home Rule
He had time to go over to the precinct station in the West Eighties first.Out Like a Light
Gordon Randall Garrett
- the cardinal number that is the product of ten and eightSee also number (def. 1)
- a numeral, 80, LXXX, etc, representing this number
- (plural) the numbers 80–89, esp a person's age or the year of a particular century
- the amount or quantity that is eight times as big as ten
- something represented by, representing, or consisting of 80 units
- amounting to eightyeighty pages of nonsense
- (as pronoun)eighty are expected
Word Origin for eighty
1827 as the years of someone's life between ages 80 and 89; 1833 as the ninth decade of years in a given century; 1854 with reference to Fahrenheit temperature. See eighty.