- an act or instance of elaborating.
- the state of being elaborated; elaborateness.
- something that is elaborated.
- Psychiatry. an unconscious process of expanding and embellishing a detail, especially while recalling and describing a representation in a dream so that latent content of the dream is brought into a logical and comprehensible order.
Origin of elaboration
Examples from the Web for elaboration
Contemporary Examples of elaboration
Lack of elaboration is a virus that continually infects the book, sometimes having a sickening effect on the reader.Cornel West’s Disappointing Decline
October 23, 2014
It is neither the time nor the place to ask for elaboration.The Stacks: The Eyes of Winter: Paul Newman at 70
October 11, 2014
Historical Examples of elaboration
The craving for excitement and for elaboration has ruined that blessing.Howards End
E. M. Forster
He defined the nature and crime of treason with elaboration and circumlocution.The Shadow of a Crime
It was an elaboration of the theories contained in his earlier book.Socialism
The system represents a series of compromises, not the elaboration of a theory.The English Utilitarians, Volume I.
A youth of this kind is raw material in its first stage of elaboration.Elsie Venner
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
- The process of working out in detail by labor and study.
- The mental process occurring partly during dreaming and partly during the recalling or telling of a dream, by means of which the latent content of the dream is brought into increasingly more coherent and logical order, resulting in the manifest content of the dream.