- an object or its representation, symbolizing a quality, state, class of persons, etc.; symbol: The olive branch is an emblem of peace.
- a sign, design, or figure that identifies or represents something: the emblem of a school.
- an allegorical picture, often inscribed with a motto supplemental to the visual image with which it forms a single unit of meaning.
- Obsolete. an inlaid or tessellated ornament.
- to represent with an emblem.
Origin of emblem
Synonyms for emblemSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for embleminsignia, banner, symbol, trademark, flag, logo, motto, badge, image, memento, reminder, marker, hallmark, figure, attribute, sign, colors, design, seal, colophon
Examples from the Web for emblem
Contemporary Examples of emblem
The Pahonia, emblem of the Belarusian nation drawn from the insignia of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, is banned under Lukashenko.Forget Kim Jong Un—China’s New Favorite Dictator Is Belarus’s Aleksandr Lukashenko.
January 28, 2014
This was the emblem of King Richard II, who was saved from killing a white deer, which in British legend is terribly bad luck.You Can Indeed Judge a Book By Its Cover
November 20, 2013
Prabhakaran had come to personify the movement, and his end, so wretched, became the emblem of Tamil defeat and Sinhalese triumph.Mahinda Rajapaksa and Sri Lanka’s Reign of Terror
November 15, 2013
In 2006, when I was a visiting professor at Marquette, I found an envelope with the Esquire emblem on it in my campus mailbox.Benjamin Percy: How I Write
June 5, 2013
But it's also more--it's an emblem of how much worse we are as a society than we used to be.The Apple That Fell Far From the Tree
July 9, 2012
Historical Examples of emblem
The plane in which we travelled bore the emblem of the World Patrol.City of Endless Night
Forever it should be the emblem of crime and disaster beneath its shadow.The Law-Breakers
It is as an emblem of remembrance that rosemary is most frequently used by the old poets.Storyology
Burned into his bare flesh was the emblem of their legendary sun-god.Two Thousand Miles Below
Charles Willard Diffin
The worth of the thing signified must vindicate our taste for the emblem.Essays, Second Series
Ralph Waldo Emerson
- a visible object or representation that symbolizes a quality, type, group, etc, esp the concrete symbol of an abstract ideathe dove is an emblem of peace
- an allegorical picture containing a moral lesson, often with an explanatory motto or verses, esp one printed in an emblem book