- a part or organ of the body, as the skin or a kidney, that functions in carrying off waste products.
Origin of emunctory
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for emunctory
A nose is "the prominence on the face which is the organ of scent, and the emunctory of the brain."
Emunctory, e-mungk′tor-i, n. an organ of the body that carries off waste: an excretory duct.
- of or relating to a bodily organ or duct having an excretory function
- an excretory organ or duct, such as a skin pore
C16: from New Latin ēmunctōrium, from Latin ēmungere to wipe clean, from mungere to wipe
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Serving to carry waste out of the body; excretory.
- An organ or duct that removes or carries waste from the body.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.