- to convert (a message, information, etc.) into code.
Origin of encode
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to convert (a message) from plain text into code
- computing to convert (characters and symbols) into a digital form as a series of impulsesCompare decode (def. 2)
- to convert (an electrical signal) into a form suitable for transmission
- to convert (a nerve signal) into a form that can be received by the brain
- to use (a word, phrase, etc, esp of a foreign language) in the construction appropriate to it in that language
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- To specify the genetic code for the synthesis of a protein molecule or a part of a protein molecule.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.