- Mining. one of the shorter members of a set.Compare wall plate(def 3).
- Cell Biology. a specialized area on the surface of a muscle fiber where a motor neuron makes contact with the muscle, consisting of an irregularly shaped trough into which the terminal portion of the axon fits.
Origin of end plate
First recorded in 1875–80
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- any usually flat platelike structure at the end of something
- physiol the flattened end of a motor nerve fibre, which transmits impulses to muscle
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The area of synaptic contact between a motor nerve and a muscle fiber.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.