Origin of enough
Words nearby enough
MORE ABOUT ENOUGH
What is a basic definition of enough?
Enough is an adjective that describes something that is adequate for an intended purpose. Enough is also used as an adverb to mean sufficiently or fully. Enough also has senses as a pronoun and an interjection.
Enough describes something as being adequate or sufficient. If you have enough of something, you have at least met the minimum requirement.
- Real-life examples: If you have enough money to buy food, you won’t run out of money when you purchase it, though you might not have a lot of money left afterwards. If you have enough points to pass a test, you won’t fail the test but you won’t get an A, either.
- Used in a sentence: We had 15 people show up, enough to form our basketball team.
As an adverb, enough means in a degree that is satisfactory. This sense is often used in the negative to mean something failed to meet expectations or was insufficient.
- Real-life examples: If your boss doesn’t think you work hard enough, they may fire you. If you practice the violin enough, you may become better at playing it.
- Used in a sentence: The door was just wide enough to fit the couch through it.
Enough is also used to mean fully, quite, or plenty. This sense is used to describe a situation where something has met the maximum requirement and anything more is unnecessary. This sense is not used in the negative.
- Real-life examples: If you can pay all your bills and go on vacation, you can say you earn enough. You know you’ve studied enough when you can answer all the practice questions correctly.
- Used in a sentence: She decided the dog had eaten enough and took the food bowl away.
Where does enough come from?
The first records of enough come from before the 900s. It comes from the Old English word genōh and is related to the German genug and the Old Norse nōgr.
Did you know ... ?
What are some synonyms for enough?
What are some words that share a root or word element with enough?
What are some words that often get used in discussing enough?
How is enough used in real life?
Enough is a very common word that refers to an acceptable amount of something.
I just wish I had enough money to spoil my friends and family like they deserve 🥺
— Caro✨ (@carver_caroline) December 10, 2020
Everyone has an inner voice telling them they're not good enough. All of your favorite artists refused to listen to that voice.
You should ignore it, too.
— C. Robert Cargill (@Massawyrm) December 6, 2020
I STILL don’t think I’ve got my Haters mad enough……
— ICE T (@FINALLEVEL) February 10, 2019
Try using enough!
True or False?
$10 is enough money to buy a shirt that costs $8.
How to use enough in a sentence
Grindr currently has twelve ‘tribes,’ and for some people this just is not enough.
The atmosphere on campuses has gotten repressive enough that comedian Chris Rock no longer plays colleges.
He added: “People say he deserves his day in court… Do we have enough time?”Bill Maher: Hundreds of Millions of Muslims Support Attack on ‘Charlie Hebdo’|Lloyd Grove|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
But if you have a hearing and you prove that someone is mature enough, well then that state interest evaporates.
Luckily enough I have this dedicated flat that is just along from my house that I go to every day.
And although we gabbled freely enough, MacRae avoided all mention of the persons of whom I most wished to hear.Raw Gold|Bertrand W. Sinclair
The sailors sometimes use it to fry their meat, for want of butter, and find it agreeable enough.
Just corporeal enough to attest humanity, yet sufficiently transparent to let the celestial origin shine through.Pearls of Thought|Maturin M. Ballou
A distinguished-looking man, evidently vested with authority, bustled forward and addressed him, civilly enough.The Red Year|Louis Tracy
And sure enough when Sunday came, and the pencil was restored to him, he promptly showed nurse his picture.Children's Ways|James Sully
British Dictionary definitions for enough
- sufficient to answer a need, demand, supposition, or requirement; adequateenough cake
- (as pronoun)enough is now known
Word Origin for enough
Other Idioms and Phrases with enough
In addition to the idioms beginning with enough
- enough is enough
- enough rope, give someone
- enough said
- enough to sink a ship
- fair enough
- had enough
- leave well enough alone
- not enough room to swing a cat
- sure enough
- (enough) to wake the dead