- (in modern Greece) one of the administrative subdivisions of a province.
- (in ancient Greece) a province.
Origin of eparchy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for eparchy
The area of his administration was called an eparchy (ἐπαρχία).
In Russia, an eparchy is the diocese or arch-diocese of a bishop or archbishop of the Greek Church.The New Gresham Encyclopedia
“Eparch” and “eparchy” are also used in the Russian Orthodox Church for a bishop and his diocese respectively.
- a diocese of the Eastern Christian Church
- (in ancient Greece) a province
- (in modern Greece) a subdivision of a province
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012