- (in modern Greece) one of the administrative subdivisions of a province.
- (in ancient Greece) a province.
Origin of eparchy
Examples from the Web for eparchy
Historical Examples of eparchy
The area of his administration was called an eparchy (ἐπαρχία).
In Russia, an eparchy is the diocese or arch-diocese of a bishop or archbishop of the Greek Church.The New Gresham Encyclopedia
“Eparch” and “eparchy” are also used in the Russian Orthodox Church for a bishop and his diocese respectively.
- a diocese of the Eastern Christian Church
- (in ancient Greece) a province
- (in modern Greece) a subdivision of a province