- See under machinery(def 5).
- an assemblage of machines or mechanical apparatuses: the machinery of a factory.
- the parts of a machine, collectively: the machinery of a watch.
- a group of people or a system by which action is maintained or by which some result is obtained: the machinery of government.
- a group of contrivances for producing stage effects.
- the group or aggregate of literary machines, especially those of supernatural agency (epic machinery) in an epic poem.
Origin of machinery
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- machines, machine parts, or machine systems collectively
- a particular machine system or set of machines
- a system similar to a machinethe machinery of government
- literary devices used for effect in epic poetry
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for epic machinery
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper