- See under machinery(def 5).
- an assemblage of machines or mechanical apparatuses: the machinery of a factory.
- the parts of a machine, collectively: the machinery of a watch.
- a group of people or a system by which action is maintained or by which some result is obtained: the machinery of government.
- a group of contrivances for producing stage effects.
- the group or aggregate of literary machines, especially those of supernatural agency (epic machinery) in an epic poem.
Origin of machinery
Synonyms for machinery
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- machines, machine parts, or machine systems collectively
- a particular machine system or set of machines
- a system similar to a machinethe machinery of government
- literary devices used for effect in epic poetry
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper