- Pathology. a secondary or additional symptom or complication arising during the course of a disease.
- any secondary phenomenon.
Origin of epiphenomenon
Examples from the Web for epiphenomenon
Historical Examples of epiphenomenon
And more than one modern has called it an epiphenomenon—an absurd term.Tragic Sense Of Life
Miguel de Unamuno
The term "epiphenomenon" has been adopted to express the distinctness but entire dependence of the mind.The Approach to Philosophy
Ralph Barton Perry
But some demon prompted me to inquire of my father the meaning of the term “epiphenomenon.”The Jessica Letters: An Editor's Romance
Paul Elmer More
- a secondary or additional phenomenon; by-product
- pathol an unexpected or atypical symptom or occurrence during the course of a disease
Word Origin and History for epiphenomenon
- An additional condition or symptom in the course of a disease, not necessarily connected with the disease.