- an unusual or excessive degree of irritability or stimulation in an organ or tissue.
Origin of erethism
Examples from the Web for erethism
Historical Examples of erethism
The intense excitement of the events had no doubt left my perceptive powers in a state of erethism.The War of the Worlds
H. G. Wells
Normally, there appears to be no erethism of the sexual organs during the process of love-making.
At the same time they consider that, while erethism is less, sexuality is greater than in men.Studies in the Psychology of Sex, Volume 3 (of 6)
If this flow is continued, without proper periods of repose, a state of erethism and insomnia is produced.Sleep and Its Derangements
William A. Hammond
Erethism, er′e-thizm, n. excitement or stimulation of any organ.
- physiol an abnormally high degree of irritability or sensitivity in any part of the body
- a personality disorder resulting from mercury poisoning
- an abnormal tendency to become aroused quickly, esp sexually, as the result of a verbal or psychic stimulus
Word Origin for erethism
- Abnormal irritability or sensitivity of an organ or body part to stimulation.