- a communication containing some information, news, advice, request, or the like, sent by messenger, telephone, email, or other means.
- an official communication, as from a chief executive to a legislative body: the president's message to Congress.
- Digital Technology. a post or reply on an online message board.
- the inspired utterance of a prophet or sage.
- the point, moral, or meaning of a gesture, utterance, novel, motion picture, etc.
- Computers. a warning, permission, etc., communicated by the system or software to the user: an error message; a message to allow blocked content.
- to send a message, especially an electronic message.
- to send (a person) a message.
- to send as a message.
- get the message, Informal. to understand or comprehend, especially to infer the correct meaning from circumstances, hints, etc.: If we don't invite him to the party, maybe he'll get the message.
Origin of message
- a message displayed on a visual display unit, printout, etc, indicating that an incorrect instruction has been given to the computer
- a communication, usually brief, from one person or group to another
- an implicit meaning or moral, as in a work of art
- a formal communiqué
- an inspired communication of a prophet or religious leader
- a mission; errand
- (plural) Scot shoppinggoing for the messages
- get the message informal to understand what is meant
- (tr) to send as a message, esp to signal (a plan, etc)
Word Origin and History for error message
c.1300, "communication transmitted via a messenger," from Old French message "message, news, tidings, embassy" (11c.), from Medieval Latin missaticum, from Latin missus "a sending away, sending, despatching; a throwing, hurling," noun use of past participle of mittere "to send" (see mission). The Latin word is glossed in Old English by ærende. Specific religious sense of "divinely inspired communication via a prophet" (1540s) led to transferred sense of "the broad meaning (of something)," first attested 1828. To get the message "understand" is from 1960.
Idioms and Phrases with error message
see get the message.