- being; existence.
- in being; in actuality; in actual existence (contrasted wiith in posse).
de bene esse
- of validity for the time being but subject to objection or nullification at a later date; provisionally: to take evidence de bene esse to ensure against its loss.
Origin of de bene esse
esse quam videri
- to be rather than to seem: motto of North Carolina.
Examples from the Web for esse
Historical Examples of esse
Before other verbs are declined, it is necessary to learn the verb Esse, to be.The Comic Latin Grammar
I went with Oldershaw, and Twigg and Esse went in the other boats.
Esse and I watched them anxiously as they disappeared in the gloom.
I secured a handkerchief round my head, and Esse did the same.
Hence it is to this Esse, to what we are, that blame and merit must ultimately be attributed.The Basis of Morality
- essential nature; essence
Word Origin for esse
- actually existingCompare in posse