or E.S.T., e.s.t.
- Eastern Standard Time.
- a suffix forming the superlative degree of adjectives and adverbs: warmest; fastest; soonest.
Origin of -est1
- a native English suffix formerly used to form the second person singular indicative of verbs: knowest; sayest; goest.
Origin of -est2
laborare est orare
- to work is to pray.
magna est veritas, et praevalebit
- truth is great and will prevail.
scientia est potentia
- knowledge is power.
ars est celare artem
- it is art to conceal art; true art conceals the means by which it is achieved.
de gustibus non est disputandum
- there is no disputing about tastes.
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
- sweet and fitting it is to die for one's country.
errare humanum est
- Latin. to err is human.
Examples from the Web for est
Contemporary Examples of est
The sweepstakes begins on December 9th, 2014 at 8:00 AM EST and ends on January 31st, 2015 at 11:59 EST (the "Entry Period").
She gabbled on and all we understood was the bit at the end, Rose est une belle jeune fille.A Real-Life ‘Downton Abbey’ Affair
January 13, 2013
As Ries notes, Issa will be answered questions in an "Ask Me Anything" at 10:30 AM EST today.Darrell Issa's Attempt to Woo Reddit
November 28, 2012
And by Sunday night at midnight (EST) the “listen to your nose” dog was still live on the site.David Beckham Hacked: Soccer Star’s Website Defaced by Unknown Hacker
Mike Giglio, Brian Ries
July 11, 2011
Chat live at 12:30 est Tuesday, 10/19 with the woman leading the charge on social entrepreneurship and innovation.Live Chat: Cheryl Dorsey, The Change Agent
The Daily Beast
October 18, 2010
Historical Examples of est
I say that cette belle demoiselle, votre nice, est ravissante.The Yellow God
H. Rider Haggard
In adjectives we have suffixes of degree (comparison: -er, -est).Montessori Elementary Materials
The -st would strengthen the meaning of mag (may) as it does in -est of longest.An Outline of English Speech-craft
But at any rate, est oper pretium: the stake is worth the venture.Studies on Homer and the Homeric Age, Vol. 1 of 3
W. E. Gladstone
I asked her to say an Ave and a Sancta est Maria mater gratiae.Princes and Poisoners
- a treatment intended to help people towards psychological growth, in which they spend many hours in large groups, deprived of food and water and hectored by stewards
Word Origin for est
- Also: estab established
- Eastern Standard Time
- electric-shock treatment
- Estonia (international car registration)
- forming the superlative degree of adjectives and adverbsshortest; fastest
Word Origin for -est
- forming the archaic second person singular present and past indicative tense of verbsthou goest; thou hadst
Word Origin for -est
De gustibus non est disputandum
Latin for “There's no disputing about taste.” Another version of this saying is “There's no accounting for taste.”