- pertaining to or dealing with morals or the principles of morality; pertaining to right and wrong in conduct.
- being in accordance with the rules or standards for right conduct or practice, especially the standards of a profession: It was not considered ethical for physicians to advertise.
- (of drugs) sold only upon medical prescription.
Origin of ethical
SynonymsSee more synonyms for ethical on Thesaurus.com
2. moral, upright, honest, righteous, virtuous, honorable.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for ethically
The case for a living wage is economically and ethically powerful if it is made by working poor who genuinely need a living wage.Why Progressives Shouldn’t Support Public Workers Unions
July 11, 2014
In my view, this was ethically dubious on her part, and extremely so.A Textbook "Curb Your Enthusiasm" Moment
June 24, 2013
He also explains how he made it (often, by ethically and legally dubious means).This Week’s Hot Reads: June 10, 2013
June 10, 2013
He does this partly by pointing out that not everyone is capable of serving in the military—physically, mentally, ethically.A Night Along the Military-Civilian Divide: An Iraq Vet in New York
April 30, 2013
Yes, the tabloids can be tacky, sensationalist, intentionally misleading, and ethically suspect.What You Can Learn From John Edwards and Rielle Hunter
June 27, 2012
Ethically speaking, the trouble is that existence is a selfish thing.War Letters of a Public-School Boy
Ethically, I am inclined to believe the religion of the Ainus is just as high as was that of the Incas.Religion and Lust
Psychology will never tell us just what to do ethically, nor just how to do it.Psychology and Social Practice
Sense and consciousness can give us only what is, not what ethically ought to be.Theoretical Ethics
Historically, scientifically, and ethically the Bible is imperfect.God and my Neighbour
- in accordance with principles of conduct that are considered correct, esp those of a given profession or group
- of or relating to ethics
- (of a medicinal agent) available legally only with a doctor's prescription or consent
Word Origin and History for ethically
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Of, relating to, or dealing with ethics.
- Being in accordance with the accepted principles of right and wrong that govern the conduct of a profession.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.