- of or relating to Ethiopia or to its inhabitants.
- belonging to the part of Africa south of the equator.
- Zoogeography. belonging to a geographical division comprising Africa south of the tropic of Cancer, the southern part of the Arabian Peninsula, and Madagascar.
- Archaic. black African.
- a native of Ethiopia.
- a member of any of various supposedly dark-skinned peoples regarded by the ancients as coming from a country lying south of Egypt.
- Archaic. a black African.
Origin of Ethiopian
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for ethiopian
That marked the beginning of a fruitful long-term relationship with his Ethiopian clients.'Made in China' Now Being Made in Africa
August 23, 2014
Co-pilot on Ethiopian Airlines waited until pilot went to the bathroom and locked him out of the cockpit.Up to a Point: PJ on Sochi Stray Dog Stew and 1-800-F*CKYOU
P. J. O’Rourke
February 21, 2014
Ethiopian Airlines wishes to apologize to its esteemed customers for the inconvenience caused by this diversion.
Ethiopian Airlines issued a statement apologizing for the incident.
Ethiopian Christians, for instance, depicted Christ—and other biblical figures—as Ethiopians.Yes, Megyn Kelly, Santa Can Be Black (and Jesus, Too)
December 12, 2013
A second and a third time the Ethiopian touched him with his wand, and spoke in whispers.Philothea
Lydia Maria Child
Minerva denies to an Ethiopian to celebrate the wars of generals.
That mask, as of a white Ethiopian, would be superb in marble.The Nabob
The world, he declared, was fallen into disorder, like the hair of an Ethiopian.
The Ethiopian said, 'How can I know, unless some man do teach me?'Loss and Gain
John Henry Newman
- of, relating to, or characteristic of Ethiopia, its people, or any of their languages
- of or denoting a zoogeographical region consisting of Africa south of the Sahara
- anthropol obsolete of or belonging to a postulated racial group characterized by dark skin, an oval elongated face, and thin lips, living chiefly in Africa south of the Sahara
- a native or inhabitant of Ethiopia
- any of the languages of Ethiopia, esp Amharic
- an archaic word for Black