- the act of exalting.
- the state of being exalted.
- elation of mind or feeling, sometimes abnormal or morbid in character; rapture: mystical exaltation; euphoric exaltation.
- Chiefly British. a flight of larks.
- Astrology. the sign of the zodiac in which the most positive influence of a planet is expressed (opposed to falldef 51).
- Chemistry. (formerly) the process of subliming.
Origin of exaltation
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Wordsrapture, acclaim, apotheosis, plaudits, eminence, worship, aggrandizement, ennoblement, homage, idolization, advancement, magnification, tribute, grandeur, rise, elevation, blessing, acclamation, reverence, prestige
Examples from the Web for exaltation
Clearly a call to charity, this is also an exaltation of parenthood.Dealing with Awful Loss
February 25, 2013
This exaltation of suffering may be difficult for many non-Catholics to understand.Contrasting Benedict and John Paul II
February 11, 2013
What made more sense than to sing a niggun, a tune of longing and exaltation?A Year On: Occupy L.A. And God
September 28, 2012
Many people think of religion in personal terms, of the solace or insight or exaltation it can provide.The Real Reason for Christmas
December 14, 2009
Harriett felt nothing but a strange, solemn excitement and exaltation.Life and Death of Harriett Frean
So long as she was busy, a sort of exaltation of service upheld her.K
Mary Roberts Rinehart
But for all that his exaltation did not subside, but assumed a higher pitch.The Downfall
Compare that moment of exaltation with the grovelling life of your Christians!Lotus Buds
They advanced to the topic again and again, dully, but with exaltation.Howards End
E. M. Forster
- the act of exalting or state of being exalted
- a feeling of intense well-being or exhilaration; elation; rapture
- a flock of larks
Word Origin and History for exaltation
late 14c, from Old French exaltacion "enhancement, elevation," from Latin exaltationem (nominative exaltatio) "elevation, pride," from exaltare (see exalt).