- forming an exception or rare instance; unusual; extraordinary: The warm weather was exceptional for January.
- unusually excellent; superior: an exceptional violinist.
- Education. (of a child)
- being intellectually gifted.
- being physically or especially mentally disabled to an extent that special schooling is required.
Origin of exceptional
Synonyms for exceptional
Antonyms for exceptional
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- forming an exception; not ordinary
- having much more than average intelligence, ability, or skill
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper