- forming an exception or rare instance; unusual; extraordinary: The warm weather was exceptional for January.
- unusually excellent; superior: an exceptional violinist.
- Education. (of a child)
- being intellectually gifted.
- being physically or especially mentally disabled to an extent that special schooling is required.
Origin of exceptional
SynonymsSee more synonyms for exceptional on Thesaurus.com
1. uncommon, singular, strange, unnatural, aberrant, anomalous. See irregular.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- forming an exception; not ordinary
- having much more than average intelligence, ability, or skill
Word Origin and History for exceptionality
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper