- marriage outside a specific tribe or similar social unit.Compare endogamy.
- Biology. the union of gametes of unrelated parents.
Origin of exogamy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for exogamic
If a group is exogamic, the women in it were born abroad somewhere.Folkways
William Graham Sumner
Lang adds that these taboos are the basis of exogamic practices.The Elementary Forms of the Religious Life
The Seri are loosely organised in a number of exogamic, matrilineal, totemic clans.Man, Past and Present
Agustus Henry Keane
The Arunta 'exogamic groups' are 'classes,' and 'phratries,' the totem does not now regulate marriage among the Arunta.
Yet Mr. Spencer remarks that 'the development of exogamic groups' gradually resulted from some organisation of unknown nature.
- sociol anthropol the custom or an act of marrying a person belonging to another tribe, clan, or similar social unitCompare endogamy
- biology fusion of gametes from parents that are not closely related
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for exogamic
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Sexual reproduction by means of conjugation of two gametes of different ancestry, as in certain protozoan species.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.