- an act or instance of failing or proving unsuccessful; lack of success: His effort ended in failure. The campaign was a failure.
- nonperformance of something due, required, or expected: a failure to do what one has promised; a failure to appear.
- a subnormal quantity or quality; an insufficiency: the failure of crops.
- deterioration or decay, especially of vigor, strength, etc.: The failure of her health made retirement necessary.
- a condition of being bankrupt by reason of insolvency.
- a becoming insolvent or bankrupt: the failure of a bank.
- a person or thing that proves unsuccessful: He is a failure in his career. The cake is a failure.
Origin of failure
Related Words for failurebreakdown, loss, misstep, collapse, decline, failing, deficiency, deterioration, defeat, bankruptcy, disappointment, flop, bomb, downfall, turkey, lemon, wreck, stoppage, rout, misadventure
Examples from the Web for failure
Contemporary Examples of failure
“I think it is important to say it is too soon to judge success or failure,” said Col. Steven Warren, a Pentagon spokesman.Pentagon Doesn’t Know How Many People It’s Killed in the ISIS War
Nancy A. Youssef
January 7, 2015
In doing so he exposed the failure of other airlines in the region to see the huge pent-up demand for cheap travel.Annoying Airport Delays Might Prevent You From Becoming the Next AirAsia 8501
January 6, 2015
Meanwhile, the Anti-Defamation League issued a statement deploring the state GOP for its failure to censure Duke.The Louisiana Racists Who Courted Steve Scalise
January 3, 2015
In short, we found ways to couch messages of failure or inadequacy.Random Hook-Ups or Dry Spells: Why Millennials Flunk College Dating
January 1, 2015
Failure to bond to their parents was the prominent reason children were being given away.Judge: Rehoming Kids Is Trafficking
December 30, 2014
Historical Examples of failure
They considered civilisation a failure because it was killing off all the big game.
There could not be a giving up—and there must not be failure.
Is there not (as the lawyers would style it) a failure of consideration?
Faced by failure of credit they have proposed only the lending of more money.
Our reluctance for conflict should not be misjudged as a failure of will.
- the act or an instance of failing
- a person or thing that is unsuccessful or disappointingthe evening was a failure
- nonperformance of something required or expectedfailure to attend will be punished
- cessation of normal operation; breakdowna power failure
- an insufficiency or shortagea crop failure
- a decline or loss, as in health or strength
- the fact of not reaching the required standard in an examination, test, course, etc
- the act or process of becoming bankrupt or the state of being bankrupt
- The inability to function or perform satisfactorily.