- a test result that is incorrect because the test failed to recognize an existing condition or finding.
- a person who receives this test result.
- any screening test result that failed to detect a person or thing being sought: Let's hope the new body scanner doesn't give us any false-negatives.
- a person or thing that is missed by such a test: Retrain your spam filter if you’re getting too many false-negatives in your inbox.
- pertaining to or being a false-negative.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a result in a medical test that wrongly indicates the absence of the condition being tested for
- a person from whom such a result is obtained
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- A negative test result when the attribute for which the subject is being tested actually exists in that subject.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.