- a test result that is incorrect because the test indicated a condition or finding that does not exist: a false-positive for syphilis.
- a person who receives this test result.
- any screening test result that incorrectly detected or classified a person or thing: A false-positive at the airport could cause you to miss your flight.
- a person or thing identified by such a test.
- pertaining to or being a false-positive: The test has a false-positive rate of 4%.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a result in a medical test that wrongly indicates the presence of the condition being tested for
- a person from whom such a result is obtained
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- A positive test result in a subject that does not possess the attribute for which the test is being conducted.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.