- conceived or appearing as if conceived by an unrestrained imagination; odd and remarkable; bizarre; grotesque: The most fantastic rock formations are visible from the high plateau of the park’s rim trail.Artists rendered fantastic designs in the margin of the manuscript.
- fanciful or capricious, as persons or their ideas or actions: We never know what that fantastic creature will say next.
- imaginary or groundless in not being based on reality; foolish or irrational: You can’t let these fantastic fears of yours control your life.
- extravagantly fanciful; marvelous: The scenery and lighting they created for the dream sequences are truly fantastic!
- incredibly great or extreme; exorbitant: The rich are spending fantastic sums of money, even in this economy.
- highly unrealistic or impractical: They hatched a fantastic scheme to make a million dollars betting on horse races.
Origin of fantastic
synonym study for fantastic
OTHER WORDS FROM fantastic
Words nearby fantastic
How to use fantastic in a sentence
It won’t matter how fantastic the weight feels if the top layer is itchy and uncomfortable.Best weighted blanket: Sleep like a baby with our comfy bedding picks|PopSci Commerce Team|February 12, 2021|Popular-Science
The Aerospace goggles aren’t just fantastic for backcountry skiing—they would still be worth every penny if I never left the resort.
This jury-rigged approach is fantastic for getting intense browning on ingredients that might overcook if they’re farther from the heat, therefore taking longer to develop desired color and caramelization.
Your effort is rewarded with fantastic lookouts of Jordan Pond, Somes Sound, and the Atlantic, not to mention a long and wicked-fun descent.
If yours is a middle-class family, maybe you’re a lights-out student, or an incredible artist, or a fantastic musician, and you are going to be reaching for the credential that can open doors to worlds that your family could never otherwise imagine.Paying for College Can Be Overwhelming. Here's What You Need to Know to Find an Affordable Option|Sean Gregory|February 5, 2021|Time
"Clive has had a fantastic and distinguished career so we listen to what he has to say," he said.Victim: I Watched British MPs Rape and Murder Young Boys|Nico Hines|December 18, 2014|DAILY BEAST
I had, for a long time, been curious about the place where all this fantastic stuff was made.A Whisky Connoisseur Remembers That First Sip of The Macallan||December 10, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute has staged some truly fantastic shows over the past few years.The Daily Beast’s 2014 Holiday Gift Guide: For the Carrie Bradshaw in Your Life|Allison McNearney|November 29, 2014|DAILY BEAST
It is completely nonsensical, and every second is fantastic.The Most WTF Covers of ‘Baby, It’s Cold Outside,’ Everyone’s Favorite Date-Rape Holiday Classic|Kevin Fallon|November 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The story was a very subversive fairy tale by Roald Dahl, and a fantastic part.All Eyes on Anjelica Huston: The Legendary Actress on Love, Abuse, and Jack Nicholson|Alex Suskind|November 10, 2014|DAILY BEAST
And is this a mere fantastic talk, or is this a thing that could be done and that ought to be done?The Salvaging Of Civilisation|H. G. (Herbert George) Wells
The music grew strange and fantastic—turbulent, insistent, plaintive and soft with entreaty.
The champagne was cold, and its subtle fumes played fantastic tricks with Edna's memory that night.
Mariamne had grown more fantastic, and capricious, and wayward than ever.
She vacantly hummed a fantastic tune as she poked at the wood embers on the hearth and munched a cracker.