- a wealthy person from whom large political campaign contributions are expected.
- any wealthy person, especially one who has become rich quickly through questionable dealings.
- an important, influential, or famous person.
- a person who has become lazy or self-satisfied as the result of privilege or advantage.
Origin of fat cat
Examples from the Web for fat cat
Contemporary Examples of fat cat
Meanwhile, the fat-cat donors are credited with more “Calculated Giving.”Playing the Fear Card
March 3, 2010
- a very wealthy or influential person
- (as modifier)a fat-cat industrialist
A wealthy and privileged person, as in This neighborhood, with its million-dollar estates, is full of fat cats. This term originally meant “a rich contributor to a political campaign,” and while this usage persists, it now is often applied more broadly, as in the example. [Colloquial; 1920s]