- belonging or pertaining to the cat family, Felidae.
- catlike; characteristic of animals of the cat family: a feline tread.
- sly, stealthy, or treacherous.
- an animal of the cat family.
Origin of feline
Examples from the Web for feline
Contemporary Examples of feline
The look accentuates her feline eyes and “really opens up them up,” she chirps.Inside StyleHaul, the Largest Fashion Network on YouTube You’ve Never Heard Of
August 24, 2014
We must get over this dovish thing, this lily-livered and feline urge to withdraw from battle.Only Iraq Can Save Itself From Chaos
June 26, 2014
Greene's job is to literally cast all the feline models in the show.
Judging by the well-dressed canine and feline patrons at the convention center, it looks like Golden is not alone.
It's a real-life cat haven, where dogs are reportedly banned from entering and monuments to the feline overlords are plentiful.Cats Rule on Japan’s Tashirojima Island
September 5, 2013
Historical Examples of feline
It is running like the feline it is, and I am being as careful as I can.Her Father's Daughter
She scorned that, with a youthful scorn, the feline domination of Esther.The Prisoner
With feline undulations of hip and shoulder, the secretary left the room at once.Victory
Amid all his tasks he moved with a sort of feline restlessness.Sacrifice
Stephen French Whitman
Perhaps there was in her something of the feline; the instinct of the cat to gambol with its prey.Nicanor - Teller of Tales
C. Bryson Taylor
- of, relating to, or belonging to the Felidae, a family of predatory mammals, including cats, lions, leopards, and cheetahs, typically having a round head and retractile claws: order Carnivora (carnivores)
- resembling or suggestive of a cat, esp in stealth or grace
- any animal belonging to the family Felidae; a cat
Word Origin for feline
Word Origin and History for feline
1680s, from Late Latin felinus "of or belonging to a cat," from Latin feles (genitive felis) "cat, wild cat, marten," of uncertain origin. As a noun, from 1861.
- Characteristic of or resembling felids.