- a person bearing two X chromosomes in the cell nuclei and normally having a vagina, a uterus and ovaries, and developing at puberty a relatively rounded body and enlarged breasts, and retaining a beardless face; a girl or woman.
- an organism of the sex or sexual phase that normally produces egg cells.
- Botany. a pistillate plant.
- of, relating to, or being a female animal or plant.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of a female person; feminine: female suffrage; female charm.
- composed of females: a female readership.
- designating or pertaining to a plant or its reproductive structure that produces or contains elements requiring fertilization.
- (of seed plants) pistillate.
- Machinery. being or having a recessed part into which a corresponding part fits: a female plug.Compare male(def 5).
Origin of female
SynonymsSee more synonyms for female on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for female
While 19 percent of the House is female, just one woman will get to chair one of its 20 committees.The Unbearable Whiteness of Congress
January 8, 2015
“Jeffrey wanted me to tell you that you looked so pretty,” the female voice said into my disbelieving ear.I Tried to Warn You About Sleazy Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein in 2003
January 7, 2015
An escort who goes by the name of “Tommy” has experienced a wide variety of female clients.Career-Minded Women Turn to Male Escorts For No-Strings Fun and (Maybe) Sex
January 3, 2015
Are the standards for female beauty in Hollywood ridiculous?Renée Zellweger Got a New Face—and Everyone Had An Opinion About It
December 29, 2014
A male and female who do most of the mating dominate packs, and younger subordinates only breed occasionally.Mongooses, Meerkats, and Ants, Oh My! Why Some Animals Keep Mating All in the Family
December 29, 2014
This operation is performed by a female, with the aid of a stamp.The Story of the Invention of Steel Pens
Many of them were black, and a good share were of the female sex.Harriet, The Moses of Her People
Sarah H. Bradford
For my part, I cannot understand impoliteness in a Christian female.Quaint Courtships
Female performers are frequently expected to drink with the patrons.Government by the Brewers?
But we female wimmen felt that we could not have it so any way.Samantha Among the Brethren, Part 5.
Josiah Allen's Wife (Marietta Holley)
- of, relating to, or designating the sex producing gametes (ova) that can be fertilized by male gametes (spermatozoa)
- of, relating to, or characteristic of a womanfemale charm
- for or composed of women or girlsfemale suffrage; a female choir
- (of reproductive organs such as the ovary and carpel) capable of producing female gametes
- (of gametes such as the ovum) capable of being fertilized by a male gamete in sexual reproduction
- (of flowers) lacking, or having nonfunctional, stamens
- having an internal cavity into which a projecting male counterpart can be fitteda female thread
- a female animal or plant
- derogatorya woman or girl
Word Origin and History for female
early 14c., from Old French femelle (12c.) "woman, female," from Medieval Latin femella "a female," from Latin femella "young female, girl," diminutive of femina "woman" (see feminine).
Sense extended in Vulgar Latin from humans to female of other animals. Spelling altered late 14c. on mistaken parallel of male. As an adjective, from early 14c. Reference to sockets, etc., is from 1660s.
- Of, relating to, or denoting the sex that produces ova or bears young.
- A member of the sex that produces ova or bears young.
- A woman or girl.
- In organisms that reproduce sexually, being the gamete that is larger and less motile than the other corresponding gamete (the male gamete) of the same species. The egg cells of higher animals and plants are female gametes.
- Possessing or being a structure that produces only female gametes. The ovaries of humans are female reproductive organs. Female flowers possess only carpels and no stamens.
- Having the genitalia or other structures typical of a female organism. Worker ants are female but sterile.
- A female organism.