- a container for the relics of a saint; reliquary.
- an enclosure or area within a church where such a reliquary is kept.
- a portable bier or shrine.
Examples from the Web for feretory
Historical Examples of feretory
Feretory, fer′e-tor-i, n. a shrine for relics carried in processions.
This seriously affected Chichester, as the fate of the feretory of S. Richard was involved by the mandate.Bell's Cathedrals: Chichester (1901)
Hubert C. Corlette
At one time, before the erection of the reredos, the feretory must have been visible from the choir.
The fragments now in the feretory are often very fine, but are most of them sadly mutilated.
- a shrine, usually portable, for a saint's relics
- the chapel in which a shrine is kept