- a cardinal number, ten times five.
- a symbol for this number, as 50 or L.
- a set of this many persons or things.
- fifties, the numbers, years, degrees, or the like, from 50 through 59, as in referring to numbered streets, indicating the years of a lifetime or of a century, or degrees of temperature: She lives in the East Fifties. He's in his late fifties. It's going to be in the fifties again today.
- Informal. a fifty-dollar bill: He had a fifty and two tens in his wallet.
- amounting to 50 in number.
Origin of fifty
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for fifty
For more than fifty years, women have been talking about what it means to be a woman.Men Need A Better Men’s Rights Movement
December 16, 2014
Fifty years ago, we were just beginning to learn some important lessons from natural disasters, epidemics, and manmade tragedies.Heed the Warnings: Why We’re on the Brink of Mass Extinction
Sean B. Carroll
November 30, 2014
Executing your dreams at forty or fifty," Pragnell says, "is just a bit too late.House of the Witch: The Renegade Craft Brewers of Panama
November 30, 2014
When you get the kind of discharge I had, they give you a suit and fifty dollars.The Renegade: Robert Downey Sr. on His Classic Films, Son’s Battle with Drugs, and Bill Cosby
November 26, 2014
Fifty years later, the Reagan consensus prevails, it seems to me, more so than Roosevelt consensus.This Republican Loved Taxes & Modern Art
November 19, 2014
It had been all the same to Mrs. Bines for as many years as a woman of fifty can remember.
I am told he comes of a father who died at fifty, and who did in many ways like that.
He'd heard these rumours about a slump, and he's fifty years old at that.
The losses in New York City alone were said to be fifty millions.
It was rather a heavy tug, for the fish he had caught weighed at least fifty pounds.Brave and Bold
- the cardinal number that is the product of ten and five
- a numeral, 50, L, etc, representing this number
- something represented by, representing, or consisting of 50 units
- amounting to fiftyfifty people
- (as pronoun)fifty should be sufficient
Old English fīftig
Word Origin and History for fifty
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper