- a boneless cut or slice of meat or fish, especially the beef tenderloin.
- a piece of veal or other meat boned, rolled, and tied for roasting.
- a decorative line impressed on a book cover, usually at the top and bottom of the back.
- a rolling tool for impressing such lines.
- Also called list. a narrow flat molding or area, raised or sunk between larger moldings or areas.
- a narrow portion of the surface of a column left between adjoining flutes.
verb (used with object)
- to cut or prepare (meat or fish) as a fillet.
- to cut fillets from.
QUIZ YOURSELF ON THE MANY TYPES OF NOUNS
Origin of fillet
Words nearby fillet
Example sentences from the Web for fillet
Fold any thinner pieces of fish so that all the fillets are about the same thickness.
Move the carrots and parsnips to one side of the sheet pan and place the fish fillets on the other side.
She said that "the most expensive piece of meat in a local butcher [in France] is a fillet of horse meat."
The beef tenderloin was excellent, but I was disappointed with the bass fillet.
Cover the top of each fillet with a quarter of the andouille crust mixture.
I like to use wild salmon, but alternatively you can use any firm-fleshed fillet.
It is Japanese- and Chinese-inspired, offering tasty dishes like sesame-crusted tuna and wok-charred beef fillet.
And the sun was glancing on many a gemmed fillet and many a ribbon-decked, blond tress that fell nigh to its proud owner's knees.God Wills It!|William Stearns Davis
A gold fillet, set with another matchless diamond, confined her hair, which fell loosely in wavy tresses round her shoulders.The Devil-Tree of El Dorado|Frank Aubrey
This is bound round the forehead by a fillet sometimes made of camel's hair, which holds it in its place tightly, like a cap.Round the Wonderful World|G. E. Mitton
To form cutlets similar to the fillet cutlets, place them in a frying-pan, and let them poach in water.
Fillet a brace of woodcock, soak them in salad oil seasoned with black pepper, some cloves, and a pounded head of garlic.
British Dictionary definitions for fillet
- Also called: fillet steak a strip of boneless meat, esp the undercut of a sirloin of beef
- the boned side of a fish
- the white meat of breast and wing of a chicken
- a narrow decorative line, impressed on the cover of a book
- a wheel tool used to impress such lines