• synonyms


or fil·is·ter

noun Carpentry.
  1. a rabbet or groove, as one on a window sash to hold the glass and putty.
  2. Also called fillister plane. a plane for cutting rabbets or grooves.
Show More

Origin of fillister

First recorded in 1810–20; origin uncertain
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018

Examples from the Web for fillister

Historical Examples of fillister

  • Fillister, fil′is-ter, n. a rabbeting plane used in making window-sashes.

    Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary (part 2 of 4: E-M)


  • The forms of the heads are as in Fig. 387, a being termed a Fillister, b a countersink, and c a round head.

  • For rabbeting and fillister work the upper holes q are used, while using ploughs the lower ones are brought into requisition.

British Dictionary definitions for fillister


filister or fillester

  1. Also called: fillister plane an adjustable plane for cutting rabbets, grooves, etc
  2. Also called: sash fillister a rabbet or groove, esp one in a window sash bar for a pane of glass
Show More

Word Origin for fillister

C19: of unknown origin
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012