- composed of regular members, participants, etc. (distinguished from substitute): the first-string team.
- foremost; main: the first-string critics.
Origin of first-string
First recorded in 1915–20
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the top player of a team in an individual sport, such as squash
- being a regular member of a team rather than a substitute or reserve
- being the top player of a team in an individual sport
- of high rating; first-class