- of, like, or of the nature of a plant leaf; leaflike.
- bearing leaves or leaflike parts.
- pertaining to or consisting of leaves.
- consisting of leaflike plates or laminae; foliated.
Origin of foliaceous
Examples from the Web for foliaceous
Historical Examples of foliaceous
The shells of this family are irregular, generally attached and foliaceous.A Conchological Manual
George Brettingham Sowerby
Fruit a 2-celled, 2-seeded capsule, flattened and foliaceous at the extremity (a samara).Woodland Gleanings
Calyx 5-parted, without appendages, enlarged and foliaceous in fruit.
The calyx is most generally green in color, and foliaceous (leaf-like) in texture.
Foliaceous, belonging to, or of the texture or nature of, a leaf (folium).
- having the appearance of the leaf of a plant
- bearing leaves or leaflike structures
- geology (of certain rocks, esp schists) consisting of thin layers; foliated