- next after the thirty-ninth; being the ordinal number for 40.
- being one of 40 equal parts.
- a fortieth part, especially of one (1/40).
- the fortieth member of a series.
Origin of fortieth
Examples from the Web for fortieth
Contemporary Examples of fortieth
Historical Examples of fortieth
At Fortieth Street he looked down to the middle of the block.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
Dryden and Scott were not known as authors until each was in his fortieth year.Self-Help
I told him the Fortieth, and that I had been one of the forlorn hope.The Autobiography of Sergeant William Lawrence
His children are pensioned into the third and fourth and fortieth generation.Memoirs
Charles Godfrey Leland
To be exact he did not go the length of the block between Thirty-ninth and Fortieth.From Place to Place
Irvin S. Cobb
- being the ordinal number of forty in numbering or counting order, position, time, etc. Often written: 40th
- (as noun)he was the fortieth
- one of 40 approximately equal parts of something
- (as modifier)a fortieth part
- the fraction equal to one divided by 40 (1/40)