- a cardinal number, 40 plus 5.
- a symbol for this number, as 45 or XLV.
- a set of this many persons or things.
- amounting to 45 in number.
- a pistol, revolver, or cartridge of .45-caliber, or having a diameter of .45 inch.
- a seven-inch phonograph record played at 45 r.p.m., especially a popular-music single.
Origin of 45
Related Words for forty-fiverod, gun, firearm, handgun, piece, rifle, cannon, pistol, shotgun, revolver, mortar, hardware, six-shooter, forty-five, ordnance, musket, difference, equalizer, Uzi, howitzer
Examples from the Web for forty-five
Contemporary Examples of forty-five
Forty-five KLAC listeners withdrew their pledges in protest at his remarks.How Richard Pryor Beat Bill Cosby and Transformed America
David Yaffe, Scott Saul
December 10, 2014
Forty-five minutes were estimated to have elapsed from the time the stabbing began until the killer left.The Myth of the Central Park Five
October 19, 2014
Forty-five relatives, all women and children, were taken by ISIS fighters in Qiniyeh.Amnesty Report: ISIS Committing Ethnic Cleansing on an Historic Scale
September 2, 2014
Forty-five year-old Boris Aseyev, a web designer, was one of the civilians wounded on February 20.Photographs Expose Russian-Trained Killers in Kiev
March 30, 2014
Bright is forty-five now, a baseball itinerant since the day he signed a contract with the Yankees at the age of sixteen.The Great Paul Hemphill Celebrates the Long Gone Birmingham Barons
March 29, 2014
Historical Examples of forty-five
And the undertaker's bill was seven dollars and forty-five cents.
He was now forty-five years of age, the forces of youth and growth had left him.The Man Shakespeare
Young Nick's Hattie was forty-five, but she looked much younger.Tiverton Tales
She had looked young at thirty-seven; she looked old at forty-five.Hetty's Strange History
"In the first place, Princess Ligovski is a woman of forty-five," answered Werner.A Hero of Our Time
M. Y. Lermontov
- a gramophone record played at 45 revolutions per minute
- US and Canadian a pistol having .45 calibre
- the Forty-Five British history another name for Jacobite Rebellion (def. 2)