- to bluff.
- Poker. to bluff on the basis of a four flush.
Origin of four-flush
An Americanism dating back to 1895–1900
- a hand having four cards of one suit and one card of another suit; an imperfect flush.
Origin of four flush
An Americanism dating back to 1885–90
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for four-flush
It means a four-flush, said Jack, who was liberal in definitions.The Sunset Trail
Alfred Henry Lewis
I want Riggs shown up as the coward, braggart, four-flush that he is.The Man of the Forest
Playing a four-flush gives a man control of his face and voice.Plain Mary Smith
Henry Wallace Phillips
An' don't you always want to meet a real man, not a four-flush?The Lone Star Ranger
Duty calls and finds most men holding nothing but a four-flush.The Silly Syclopedia
- a useless poker hand, containing four of a suit and one odd card
- to bid confidently on a poor hand such as a four flush
- US and Canadian a slang word for bluff 1