- to separate or divide into component parts, fragments, divisions, etc.
- to separate (a mixture) into ingredients or into portions having different properties, as by distillation or crystallization; cause to undergo fractional distillation, crystallization, or the like.
- to obtain by such a process.
Origin of fractionate
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to separate or cause to separate into constituents or into fractions containing concentrated constituents
- (tr) chem to obtain (a constituent of a mixture) by a fractional process
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012