- a group of West Germanic dialects or languages, consisting of Frankish and the dialects descended from Frankish.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of Franconia.
- of or relating to Franconian.
Origin of Franconian
Examples from the Web for franconian
Historical Examples of franconian
The menu at the dinner was quite frugal; the wine was Franconian country wine.
Such was the case in Nuremberg, and in the entire Franconian province.Woman and Socialism
(Franconian dynasty) set a succession of Germans on the papal throne.The World's Greatest Books, Vol XII.
It was said that he was an anchorite who lived in the Franconian forests and preached renunciation of all earthly pleasures.
It is written on a staff of six lines, in the square notes of the Franconian period.A Popular History of the Art of Music
W. S. B. Mathews
- a group of medieval Germanic dialects spoken by the Franks in an area from N Bavaria and Alsace to the mouth of the Rhine. Low Franconian developed into Dutch, while Upper Franconian contributed to High German, of which it remains a recognizable dialectSee also Old Low German, Old High German, Frankish
- of or relating to Franconia, the Franks, or their languages