- of or befitting a brother or brothers; brotherly.
- of or being a society of men associated in brotherly union, as for mutual aid or benefit: a fraternal order; a fraternal association.
Origin of fraternal
Examples from the Web for fraternal
Contemporary Examples of fraternal
In hindsight, however, he feels that the suspension has “had a positive impact on the fraternal community.”Fraternities in a Post-UVA World
December 12, 2014
How many people get called by the Fraternal Order of the Police and say no?The GOP and Police Unions: A Love Story
December 12, 2014
The nonvoters include 16 experts, eight fraternal delegates and 38 auditors of whom 12 are married couples.The Pope vs. the Church on Family Values?
Barbie Latza Nadeau
October 6, 2014
This was more than just the fraternal bond between firefighters and police officers; this was family.The Resilient City: New York After 9/11
September 11, 2014
He was also the local president of the Union League, a fraternal organization closely aligned with the Republican Party.Enough With This 'Lost Cause' Nonsense
February 19, 2013
Historical Examples of fraternal
It is as if there were now but one and the same soil, reconciled and fraternal.The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete
It seems probable that fraternal polyandry must formerly have been practised.The Truth About Woman
C. Gasquoine Hartley
A burst of fraternal feverishness made him eager to get to it.His Masterpiece
Fraternal affection was banished the halls of Castle Feracht.
Fraternal to the last, he left her for the quieter company of Mrs. Munt.Howards End
E. M. Forster
- of or suitable to a brother; brotherly
- of or relating to a fraternity
- designating either or both of a pair of twins of the same or opposite sex that developed from two separate fertilized ovaCompare identical (def. 3)
Word Origin for fraternal
early 15c., from Middle French fraternel and directly from Medieval Latin fraternalis, from Latin fraternus "brotherly" (see fraternity). The noun meaning "fraternal twin" is recorded by 1911.
- Of or relating to brothers.
- Of, relating to, or being a twin developed from two separately fertilized ova; dizygotic.