- competition in which any of the standard strokes may be used, according to the swimmer's choice.
- the crawl.
- Wrestling. catch-as-catch-can.
- (in other sports) a performance or routine featuring relatively free, unrestricted movement or intended to demonstrate an individual's special skills or style, as in figure skating, gymnastics, or surfing.
Origin of freestyle
Related Words for freestylebathe, glide, dive, float, paddle, submerge, wade, crawl, move, slip, practice, stroke, race, freestyle, skinny-dip, dog-paddle
Examples from the Web for freestyle
Contemporary Examples of freestyle
Five years later she would be the first woman to win a Monster Jam Finals Championship in the freestyle category.The Moms of Monster Jam Drive Trucks, Buck Macho Culture
November 22, 2014
Freestyle co-president Mark Borde says the film specifically targets the “underserved” Christian-singles community.
Freestyle is surely hoping for a repeat of that faith-driven success.
IMPROVISATION Robert Iscove: Those kids made up that freestyle rap scene!‘She’s All That' 15th Anniversary: Cast and Crew Reminisce About the Making of the ‘90s Classic
January 29, 2014
J. Cole—“Jodeci (Freestyle)” Haim—“The Wire” Phoenix — “Trying to Be Cool” Arctic Monkeys—“Do I Wanna Know?”The 13 Best Songs of 2013: Lorde, Kanye West, Beyoncé, and More
December 28, 2013
- a competition or race, as in swimming, in which each participant may use a style of his or her choice instead of a specified style
- an amateur style of wrestling with an agreed set of rules
- Also called: all-in wrestlinga style of professional wrestling with no internationally agreed set of rules
- a series of acrobatics performed in skiing, etc
- (as modifier)a freestyle event