- the limit of knowledge or the most advanced achievement in a particular field: the frontiers of physics.
- an outer limit in a field of endeavor, especially one in which the opportunities for research and development have not been exploited: the frontiers of space exploration.
Origin of frontier
Related formsfron·tier·less, adjectivefron·tier·like, adjectivesem·i·fron·tier, nountrans·fron·tier, adjective
Examples from the Web for frontier
She went ahead and flew on Frontier Flight 1143 from Cleveland back to Dallas.
Nothing but watch, that is, and prevent Kurdish reinforcements from crossing the frontier to help defend Kobani.Kobani is Falling to ISIS in Syria. Kurd Protests Explode in Turkey.|Jamie Dettmer|October 10, 2014|DAILY BEAST
A guy with a baseball cap tells me that the frontier one closed last month.
At a minimum it could boost the number of troops it has patrolling the 900-kilometer frontier, Yavuz told The Daily Beast.Is NATO Ally Turkey Tacitly Fueling the ISIS War Machine?|Thomas Seibert|September 8, 2014|DAILY BEAST
They said that on August 23 they had arrived by train in the Rostov region of Russia near the Ukraine frontier.Kremlin Is Caught Putting Boots on the Ground in Ukraine|Anna Nemtsova|August 26, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The frontier was closely guarded against the savage tribes who seemed to be occupying the waste lands of northern Europe.The Story of Mankind|Hendrik Van Loon
Thus she was conducted almost without a mouthful of food to the frontier of France.A Popular History of France From The Earliest Times|Francois Pierre Guillaume Guizot
Here part of them settled near the frontier, part took service in the Roman army.The Influence of the Bible on Civilisation|Ernst Von Dobschutz
Sir R. had been residing in a small Russian town near the frontier; he was interested, I understood, in some business there.Tristram of Blent|Anthony Hope
Narva, as appears by the map, is situated on the sea-coast, near the frontier—much nearer than Riga.Peter the Great|Jacob Abbott
British Dictionary definitions for frontier
- the region of a country bordering on another or a line, barrier, etc, marking such a boundary
- (as modifier)a frontier post
- the edge of the settled area of a country
- (as modifier)the frontier spirit