- Also Fulah. a member of a pastoral and nomadic people of mixed African and Mediterranean ancestry, scattered through W Africa from Senegal to Cameroon.
- the language of the Fulani, a Niger-Congo language closely related to Wolof.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for fulani
While there, said Blake, “somebody calls her and they were speaking Fulani.”The DSK Maid's Public Battle
July 29, 2011
Thompson said the tape was played Wednesday for Diallo in her native Fulani language and an interpreter explained what was on it.The Real DSK Maid Tape
July 28, 2011
But it was in the dialect of the West African Fulani language and for weeks no translation was available.Dominique Strauss-Kahn Accuser’s Detained “Fiancé” Amara Tarawally Speaks
Christine Pelisek, Terry Greene Sterling, Christopher Dickey
July 13, 2011
As I left him, I clasped his hand and said "jaarama"—thank you, in Fulani.How the Gambia is Fighting FGC
February 5, 2011
The Fulani, however, still continue to bring us milk, and butter for cooking.
I fear, however, these are exceptional cases and that the ordinary life of the women of the ruling Fulani class is a hard one.
The Fulani rulers, following the Eastern fashion, have large harems and keep their women very secluded.
- the language of the Fula, belonging to the West Atlantic branch of the Niger-Congo family, widely used as a trade pidgin in W Africa
- plural -nis or -ni another name for Fula (def. 1)
- plural -nis or -ni a humped breed of cattle from W Africa
- of or relating to the Fula or their language