- rotten; moldy.
Origin of funked
- cowering fear; state of great fright or terror.
- a dejected mood: He's been in a funk ever since she walked out on him.
- to be afraid of.
- to frighten.
- to shrink from; try to shirk.
- to shrink or quail in fear.
Origin of funk1
Examples from the Web for funked
At the eviction a man had funked, frightened out of his seven senses.Ireland as It Is
Robert John Buckley (AKA R.J.B.)
Some of my green men had funked just at the crucial moment, and I had all but shot one.Four Days
"No, I had a chance and I—funked it," said Harry, slow in speech and slow in smile.Tristram of Blent
You oughtn't to have funked telling your mother what you meant to do.Fraternity
But Sturton knew, the delicate Bagshaw also, that Rawlings had funked.King of Ranleigh
F. S. (Frederick Sadlier) Brereton
- Also called: blue funk a state of nervousness, fear, or depression (esp in the phrase in a funk)
- a coward
- to flinch from (responsibility) through fear
- (tr; usually passive) to make afraid
- US slang a strong foul odour
- informal a type of polyrhythmic Black dance music with heavy syncopation
- Casimir (ˈkæzɪˌmɪə). 1884–1967, US biochemist, born in Poland: studied and named vitamins
Word Origin and History for funked
"depression, ill-humor," 1743, probably originally Scottish and northern English; earlier as a verb, "panic, fail through panic," (1737), said to be 17c. Oxford University slang, perhaps from Flemish fonck "perturbation, agitation, distress," possibly related to Old French funicle "wild, mad."
Funk(fŭngk, fōōngk)Casimir 1884-1967
- Polish-born American biochemist whose research of deficiency diseases led to the discovery of vitamins, which he named in 1912.
- Polish-born American biochemist who is credited with the discovery of vitamins. In 1912 he postulated the existence of four organic bases he called vitamines which were necessary for normal health and the prevention of deficiency diseases. He also contributed to the knowledge of the hormones of the pituitary gland and the sex glands.