[ fur-buh-loh ]
/ ˈfɜr bəˌloʊ /


a ruffle or flounce, as on a woman's skirt or petticoat.
any bit of showy trimming or finery.

verb (used with object)

to ornament with or as if with furbelows.

Nearby words

  1. furaldehyde,
  2. furan,
  3. furanose,
  4. furazolidone,
  5. furbearer,
  6. furbish,
  7. furbish lousewort,
  8. furca,
  9. furcal,
  10. furcate

Origin of furbelow

First recorded in 1670–80; variant of falbala

Related formsun·fur·be·lowed, adjective

Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019

Examples from the Web for furbelow

British Dictionary definitions for furbelow


/ (ˈfɜːbɪˌləʊ) /


a flounce, ruffle, or other ornamental trim
(often plural) showy ornamentation


(tr) to put a furbelow on (a garment)

Word Origin for furbelow

C18: by folk etymology from French dialect farbella; see falbala

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012

Word Origin and History for furbelow



c.1700, alteration of falbala, from French falbala (17c., cognate with Provençal farbello), from Italian falda "fold, flap, pleat," from PIE *pel- "to fold." As a verb from 1701.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper