[fyoo-zeyn, fyoo-zeyn; French fy-zan]
- a fine charcoal used in drawing, made from the wood of the spindle tree.
- a drawing made with this charcoal.
- a blackish-gray, friable component of coal with a silky luster that leaves a charcoallike mark.
Origin of fusain
1865–70; < French: spindle tree, charcoal made from its wood < Vulgar Latin *fūsāgīn- (stem of *fūsāgō), derivative of Latin fūsus spindle
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a fine charcoal pencil or stick made from the spindle tree
- a drawing done with such a pencil
- a dull black brittle form of carbon resembling charcoal, found in certain coals
C19: from French: spindle tree or charcoal made from it, from Vulgar Latin fūsāgō (unattested) a spindle (generally made from the spindle tree), from Latin fūsus
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012