- to attach (money or property) by garnishment.
- to serve (a person) with a garnishment.
- a person served with a garnishment.
Origin of garnishee
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for garnishee
Historical Examples of garnishee
Payment by the garnishee or execution against him is a complete discharge as against the judgment debtor.
A question of private ownership not worth a garnishee might set a whole nation afire!Gideon's Band
George W. Cable
- a person upon whom a garnishment has been served
- to attach (a debt or other property) by garnishment
- to serve (a person) with a garnishment
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper