- the science that deals with the dynamics and physical history of the earth, the rocks of which it is composed, and the physical, chemical, and biological changes that the earth has undergone or is undergoing.
- the study of this science.
- the geologic features and processes occurring in a given region on the earth or on a celestial body: the geology of Mars; the geology of eastern Kentucky.
Origin of geology
Related Words for geologytopography, geopolitics, geology, cartography, physiography, topology, chorography
Examples from the Web for geology
Contemporary Examples of geology
Geology is important to making great wine, and it is particularly respected by French vintners.Wine, Watch Out! These Ciders Are Just as Good
July 19, 2014
Your background in geology has a big influence on this book.
Geology, literally, as I say in this book, “underlies everything.”
He recommended I take the Oxford University entrance exam in geology, and I did fairly well.
The Daily Pic: Just when he hit it big with geology, the Californian turned to sociology.Llyn Foulkes Changes Tacks
July 31, 2013
Historical Examples of geology
The geology as well as the scenery here is an interesting study.England, Picturesque and Descriptive
Here the problems of geology run hand in hand with the problems of psychology.College Teaching
It is thus in Geology; it is thus in Biology; it is thus in Philology.Essays: Scientific, Political, & Speculative, Vol. I
Descriptive astronomy and geology have, however, been omitted.Common Science
Carleton W. Washburne
Such questions it is hardly the province of geology to solve.
- the scientific study of the origin, history, structure, and composition of the earth
- the geological features of a district or country
- The scientific study of the origin of the Earth along with its rocks, minerals, land forms, and life forms, and of the processes that have affected them over the course of the Earth's history.
- The structure of a specific region of the Earth, including its rocks, soils, mountains, fossils, and other features.
The science devoted to the study of the Earth, particularly the solid Earth and the rocks that compose it.