- Also George Town. a seaport in and the capital of the state of Penang, in NW Malaysia.
- a seaport in and the capital of Guyana, at the mouth of the Demerara.
- a residential section in the District of Columbia.
- a town in N Kentucky.
- a city in E South Carolina.
- a town in and the capital of the Cayman Islands, West Indies, on Grand Cayman.
- an independent republic on the NE coast of South America: a former British protectorate; gained independence 1966; member of the Commonwealth of Nations. 82,978 sq. mi. (214,913 sq. km). Capital: Georgetown.
Formerly British Guiana.
[pi-nang, -nahng, pee-nahng]
- an island in SE Asia, off the W coast of the Malay Peninsula. 110 sq. mi. (285 sq. km).
- a state including this island and parts of the adjacent mainland: now part of Malaysia; formerly one of the Straits Settlements and part of the former Federation of Malaya. 400 sq. mi. (1036 sq. km). Capital: Georgetown.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for georgetown
Another client, a professor at Georgetown University, submitted requests for scenarios that she had yet to even imagine.Whip It: Secrets of a Dominatrix
November 25, 2014
Like Biden, Klain is a consummate fixer, with Georgetown and Harvard Law School degrees thrown in for good measure.Where There’s Trouble, You’ll Usually Find Joe Biden
October 21, 2014
Melanne Verveer is the Executive Director of the Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security.Are We Listening to Syria’s Women and Girls?
David Miliband, Melanne Verveer
September 26, 2014
Magnolia Bakery, Georgetown Cupcake, and Sprinkles were all gaining scale.The Cupcake Boom’s Sugar High Finally Crashes
July 8, 2014
Two months later, Mrs. Kennedy announced that she was giving up her home in Georgetown and moving to New York.Jackie Kennedy’s Return to Arlington
May 29, 2014
It was, all felt, a good thing to have a Mr. Abel in Georgetown.Green Mansions
W. H. Hudson
Georgetown was abandoned; the monsters were in complete control.
How is it that you have lived in Georgetown five years, and have not known him?Among the Pines
James R. Gilmore
And the only society which she might enjoy was in Georgetown, two miles away.Union and Democracy
Mt. Zion in Georgetown had been acting as an organized church since 1816.
- the capital and chief port of Guyana, at the mouth of the Demerara River: became capital of the Dutch colonies of Essequibo and Demerara in 1784; seat of the University of Guyana. Pop: 237 000 (2005 est)Former name (until 1812): Stabroek
- a republic in NE South America, on the Atlantic: colonized chiefly by the Dutch in the 17th and 18th centuries; became a British colony in 1831 and an independent republic within the Commonwealth in 1966. Official language: English. Religions: Christian and Hindu. Currency: dollar. Capital: Georgetown. Pop: 739 903 (2013 est). Area: about 215 000 sq km (83 000 sq miles)Former name (until 1966): British Guiana
- Also called: Pulau Pinang a state of Peninsular Malaysia: consists of the island of Penang and the province Wellesley on the mainland, which first united administratively in 1798 as a British colony. Capital: George Town. Pop: 1 313 449 (2000). Area: 1030 sq km (398 sq miles)
- a forested island off the NW coast of Malaya, in the Strait of Malacca. Area: 293 sq km (113 sq miles)Former name (until about 1867): Prince of Wales Island
- another name for George Town
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for georgetown
from a native word perhaps meaning "respectable."
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper