- the process, state, or period of gestating.
Origin of gestation
Examples from the Web for gestation
She had supported Stern when his own career had first been in gestation and then later in free-fall.I Was There: Inside Joan Rivers’ Funeral
September 8, 2014
He specifically defends the use of “gestation crates”— tiny pens where pregnant pigs live before giving birth.The Sleazy War on the Humane Society
Center for Public Integrity
August 18, 2014
The term “gestation,” for instance, is derived from the Latin verb gestāre, used to describe a mammal carrying a burden.
How, then, can gestation happen if no one is carrying the fetus?
For the early Jewish sages, during the first 40 days of gestation, the fetus was nothing more than “mere fluid.”Israel's Secular-Religious Abortion Compromise
December 12, 2013
Sparrman says that the period of gestation is twelve months.Delineations of the Ox Tribe
It tells how a pregnant woman should live during the period of gestation.
The development of the ovule in the womb is known as gestation or pregnancy.Sex
Her icy silence did not detract from the delights of his gestation.The Dwelling Place of Light, Complete
The period of gestation in both these apes is a matter that cannot be stated with certainty.Gorillas & Chimpanzees
R. L. Garner
- the development of the embryo of a viviparous mammal, between conception and birth: about 266 days in humans, 624 days in elephants, and 63 days in cats
- (as modifier)gestation period
- the development of an idea or plan in the mind
- the period of such a development
Word Origin and History for gestation
1530s, "riding on horseback, etc., as a form of exercise," from Latin gestationem (nominative gestatio) "a carrying," noun of action from gestare "bear, carry, gestate," frequentative of gerere (past participle gestus) "to bear, carry, bring forth" (see gest). Meaning "action or process of carrying young in the womb" is from 1610s.
- The period of fetal development from conception until birth; pregnancy.
- The period of time spent in the uterus between conception and birth. Gestation in humans is about nine months.