- having the edge or edges gilded: gilt-edged paper.
- of the highest or best quality, kind, etc.
- (of securities and bonds) of the highest rating or quality; secure.
- (of bonds) government backed or guaranteed.
Origin of gilt-edged
Related Words for gilt-edgednoteworthy, curious, wonderful, odd, singular, phenomenal, outstanding, striking, strange, exceptional, notable, uncommon, important, significant, surprising, unique, momentous, rare, impressive, noticeable
Examples from the Web for gilt-edged
Historical Examples of gilt-edged
He fetched the Sacred Book, a volume richly bound and gilt-edged.Abbe Mouret's Transgression
This gilt-edged treasure is a fruitful source of conversation.Things as They Are
"We'll give it to him on gilt-edged paper," finished Dave, with a grin.Dave Porter in the Gold Fields
You see here thirty millions in gilt-edged stocks and bonds.The Root of Evil
It is not because it is not gilt-edged, but because of the peculiar situation of it.Frenzied Finance
Thomas W. Lawson
- stock exchange denoting government securities on which interest payments will certainly be met and that will certainly be repaid at par on the due date
- of the highest qualitythe last track on the album is a gilt-edged classic
- (of books, papers, etc) having gilded edges